ECTmouse - ECTmouse initial launch. Getting Started
ECTmouse initial launch: Getting Started
In order to perform the initial set-up of the program, the user needs to perform several actions, which are listed below:
- 1. Launch the ECTmouse application.
- 2. Open the settings panel of the program by choosing 'Settings' – 'Show Settings Form' item of the main menu, or by using the F3 hot key (see fig. 2).
- 3. Select the keyboard keys which will correspond to cursor movements (parameters 3-10).
- 4. Select the cursor shift step in pixels (parameter 40), as well as the amount by which the cursor shift step can be quickly increased or decreased (parameter 41).
- 5. Select the keyboard keys which will emulate a single click of the mouse (parameters 11-13), a double click of the mouse (parameters 14-16), the press and hold of a button (parameters 17-19), and the release of a mouse button (parameters 20-22). The same keyboard keys can be used to emulate the hold or release actions of mouse buttons.
- 6. Assign the keys which will emulate mouse scrolling: up (parameter 23) and down (parameter 24).
The selection of the key is performed by entering its decimal key code into a corresponding field. However, there is an easier way to do that. If the user double clicks with left mouse button on the value field, it will open an additional window with extended settings (see fig. 3).
In the new window, the user may select one of these values:
- Specify decimal encoding of a key (DEC field);
- Specify hexadecimal encoding (HEX field);
- Specify a symbol (CHAR field);
- Specify a virtual symbol code (VK field).
If necessary, the user may also add one or several control keys (Ctrl, Alt or Shift) to any selected code (except for the key to start and stop the emulation process – parameter 2). To do so, the user needs to check the desired items (Shift, Alt, Ctrl) in the 'Choose Key-Code' window. Control keys can be extremely useful while working on a laptop or keyboard that lacks the numeric pad.
The user does not have to enter the key code manually all the time. Users can simply click on the 'Press to choose the Key-Code' button. The button's text will be changed to 'Waiting for button to be pressed…' (Fig. 4). Following this, the user can press any desired key of the keyboard, and the code fields will be filled in automatically.
If it is necessary, the user can also set separate keys to change the fixed value of the shift step: decrease (parameter 32), and increase (parameter 33), as well as for double reduction or enlargement of its (parameters 30-31). The cursor movement limitation area can be set with parameters 50-53.
More detailed information about all the available settings can be found in the 'Settings and additional parameters of ECTmouse' chapter of this manual.
When the configuration of the program is complete and all key emulated actions are set, the user may begin to work with the ECTmouse. In order to start the emulation, the user can choose the 'Mouse Emulator Start' item of the menu or by pressing the F2 hot key.