Universality of the EyeComTec tracking complex
Communicate using Strong muscles, Mimics or eye movements, Sounds
At the moment, the complex is based on 4 program products:
- ECTkeyboard – a virtual keyboard (symbol matrix), which allows paralyzed users to type texts character by character (via scanning method of data entry). Control is performed directly or through ECTtracker or ECTlistener applications.
- ECTtracker – an eye-tracking program, which works in conjunction with the video input analyzing the user’s behavior; it converts visible actions (like blinking an eye, raising a lip or an eyebrow) into letters (words and sentences).
- ECTlistener – a program that allows working with a symbol matrix (ECTkeyboard), using sounds produced by the patient. It converts audible actions (like blowing on the microphone or breathing loud) into letters (words and sentences).
- ECTcamera – a video capturing application, which works with a web-camera or any other external device.
Patients type texts in the ECTkeyboard application. The main window of this application contains a matrix with sequentially highlighted letters, numbers, symbols, and additional commands. Paralyzed patients wait until their desired symbol or command is highlighted and then they can select it, using any form of action available for them.
The software complex, developed by specialists from EyeComTec, perfectly fits patients with various cases of paralysis or partial loss of motor ability. Patients can communicate using:
- Strong muscles. In cases when patients can partially move their hand or leg, they can use the ECTkeyboard symbol matrix without any additional software by choosing any desired symbols with a button or a pedal. Such single action allows the user to type texts of any length.
- Mimics or eye movements. In cases of full paralysis of all strong muscles, but preservation of facial or eye muscle activity (weak muscles), the user can work with the complex programs, which includes ECTcamera, ECTtracker, and ECTkeyboard. ECTtracker analyzes the current state of the user’s eyes or any other clearly noticeable visible activity, and sends key codes to the ECTkeyboard application.
- Sounds. If the patient has lost all mobility, they can control the ECTkeyboard symbol matrix with the ECTlistener application. By breathing loudly, moaning, or making any other clearly noticeable sound, the user confirms their selection of a letter, while ECTlistener sends a key code to the ECTkeyboard application.
- Brain activity. In the most difficult cases, patients lose the ability to make any type of noticeable activity, but still have their mind and consciousness. In such cases, ECTkeyboard can be coupled with electroencephalographic hardware complexes.
ECTtracker, both individually and the set of our programs as a whole, significantly surpasses analogues in terms of functionality and stability. Various combinations of software products fit patients with different types of paralysis, which allows them to use ECTkeyboard for communication, irrespective of the complexity of their physical state.