NeuroSky MindWave – a wireless EEG-headset, which captures brainwaves activity and logs statistics. Its working range is from 3Hz up to 100Hz.
- Website: http://store.neurosky.com/products/mindwave-1
- Price: from $79.99 to $199.99 (depends on the included set of software and programs)
NeuroSky MindWave is a wireless headset, which allows to read electrical impulses of human brain. This device can be used as for scientific researches, as well as for entertainment, because it allows to control brainwave activity in real time.
This headset is pretty light (90 grams), allows users to adjust the size of the headband and uses Bluetooth interface to connect to a computer. Working dimensions of the headset are 22.5cm x 15,5cm x 9,2cm (22,5cm x 15,5cm x 16,5cm with closed sensor panel), while working frequency range is from 3Hz up to 100Hz. Working distance of wireless connection is up to 10 meters. The headset works from 1 AAA accumulator for 6-8 hours.
NeuroSky MindWave can include various sets of software and programs:
- Brainwave Starter Kit ($99.99) – basic set of software and programs for proper headset functioning;
- MyndPlay Bundle ($129.99) – additional software set, which includes several videos, where users can affect actions of main heroes through the headset;
- Focus Pocus Bundle ($199.99) – software set for kids, which includes several mini-games controlled through NeuroSky MindWave.
TM5 mini is using the method of dark pupil and it allows to work with one or both eyes. An effective distance from user's head to the tracker is from 40cm to 75cm, while working area is 28cm x 16cm x 35cm. Working frequency of TM5 mini is 48 frames per second, while accuracy of the user's sight detection does not exceed 0.5 degree.There are also some additional paid applications on the manufacturer’s website, which were created for NeuroSky MindWave. Their main idea is to visualize brainwave activity and collect statistic information.
While providing the information about current brainwave activity, such programs help users to reach some desired states of mind, e.g. high concentration or deep relaxation.
The manufacturer of NeuroSky MindWave markets its device as an entertainment and scientific product, thus it hardly can be used as an assistive technology. However, this neuroheadset can be used to communicate with a help of an assistant. Information about current concentration of the patient can be considered as a controlled eye closing or a movement of a limb, which retained its mobility.